Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Mathematica Cookbook Status

I have really neglected this blog due to the overwhelming amount of attention I had to devote to my forthcoming  Mathematica Cookbook. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and hope to blog more regularly soon.

While working on the cookbook, I came across some really great books that I highly recommend to fans of Mathematics:

Generatingfunctionology  by Herbert S. Wilf. This book begins with an awesome quote, "A generating function is a clothesline on which we hang up a sequence of numbers for display."

Fundamental Finite Element Analysis and Applications with Mathematica and Matlab Computations  by M. Asghar Bhatti. This book really helped me wrap my mind around the ideas of FEM. Expensive book, but worth it.

A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations  by Dan Fleisch is really helpful in taking the mystery out of these equations. It decomposes them symbol by symbol in a way I never seen done before in a mathematics or physics text.

There are a few others but I'll save them for a future post.

2 comments:

Norman Peterson said...

My order for the book has been in for some time. Alas, the hard copy is not here yet.

If it would help speed things along, I would be happy to test some of the recipes in the cookbook.

Norman

Sal Mangano said...

Yes, the book has been ready for some time and is available in eBook form. The delay in the print is due to some issues outside my control.

You can download a sample chapter here: http://mathematicacookbook.com/downloads/03DataStructures.zip