Friday, July 27, 2007

Wisdi v0.1

I have played around with Erlang enough to be convinced that it will be the language I will develop the Wisdi in. However, there is still a lot of basic foundational work on the semantic model that needs to be done. I do not want to loose momentum, so I intend to build version 0.1 of the Wisdi to capture grammatical knowledge rather than semantic knowledge. This is justified by the fact that any intelligent system that wants to play in the same league as us humans will need a pretty good grasp of language.

So Wisdi v0.1 will provide the following services:
  1. A Part of Speech Service - given a word it will classify it as an adjective, adverb, interjection, noun, verb, auxiliary verb, determiner, pronoun, etc.
  2. A Verb Conjugation Service - given a verb it will provide the Past Simple, Past Participle, 3rd person singular, Present Participle and plural forms.
There will be a basic web interface for adding new words to its grammatical database.
I plan to use JSON-RPC for my service interface because I think SOAP is way to heavy and because there are Erlang implementations available.

I believe this goal is simple enough to get something working quickly (although sadly this weekend I have personal obligations) but rich enough to play around with a bunch of ideas before moving to more interesting knowledge bases.

No comments: